Monday, April 14, 2008

Robert Cole's Entitlement

Before reading Robert Cole's Entitlement, I wasn't exactly sure what entitlement even meant. So I looked up the definition, and that really didn't give me what I was looking for either. So by Robert Cole giving me the impression that he describes entitlement by what you teach your children. By teaching your children who they are by how much money they grew up with. When he gives the example, if you grow up with parents that work with money like lawyers or stockbrokers you learn to live your life around money. So by growing up with money, you're entitled to live your life with money. 
Now after reading, I can see what he means by parents feeling that their children are entitled to certain things, but at the same time they want them to feel that they don't just get everything handed to them. 
I know a lot of very wealthy people, and I feel that now that the children are older, some act like their life will be handed to them on a silver platter and they feel that they're entitled to it. But some people's parents make them have a job, and work for their own money, because their parents feel that if they worked for their money their kids can do the same. 
Robert Cole used the term spoiled, and referred to how some parents don't care at all if their children become spoiled, because once again they're entitled to it. Then he mentioned how some parents felt that it was ok for their children to get a little spoiled, and that it's bound to happen, but they dont want their kids to get everything handed to them. Like I mentioned earlier, I know a lot of wealthy people, and some parents will just hand money over on demand, and some wont. I think it really depends on how their parents raised them. 
The coal mine owners son, really shows the difference in how the owners family lives opposed to the coal miners families. Calling in the best doctors for the injured, but at the same time saying they deserved it because they get careless sometimes. I feel like the father contradicted himself by saying that. Like he cares, but only because he has to. He wants them to get better, but only because they are working for him...
I personally think that no matter how much money you have growing up, if you grow up in the right environment, and your parents raise you knowing that nothing in life is just given to you, you can still have a good state of thinking about the term entitlement. Just because you have money, doesn't mean you're entitled to it.

No comments: