Sunday, May 11, 2008

speakers


After going to both speakers thursday and friday, I'd have to say I have very different opinions about both. The guy that spoke on thursday was a very interesting speaker. What he had to say kept my attention, and he had a catching tone. He added a few jokes, to lighten the mood. By him speaking about such a edgy topic getting to laugh made it easier to listen to him. When the introduction was going on I expected an older man to come on stage to be the speaker, I was surprised when I saw a young black man that had dread locks. 

I liked how he spoke about what he "should" and "shouldn't" talk about, and how he was answering a question through out the entire speech. I also found it comforting that he admitted to finishing the writing the night before, like an "undergraduate student".

The second speaker had an interesting topic, I couldn't relate to everything she was saying personally. I felt like I couldn't follow her speech as well as I did the first speaker. She referred to people and writings that I had never heard of. Her jokes weren't funny to me. It grabbed my attention that she spoke about her relationship with her father. At first I thought she was talking about getting raped or something tragic like that, but then towards the middle she said she did it to get back at her mom. Which I found absolutely mind blowing. I couldn't see how anyone would agree to having a sexual relationship with their father. 
I think if I could read her novel, or her other writings I would certainly understand more of where she was coming from. 

All in all, I thought the writers were very interesting, and made good speakers. They kept my attention and although I felt they weren't the easiest people to follow I would certainly go listen to them again.

No comments: